Sunday 7 January 2007

Poetry Please

I love poetry but it is something I like to dip into. I rarely read a poetry book in one go from cover to cover. But I do get days when I just have to find and read the perfect poem for my mood. Sometimes when I walk home from work I'll say over and over in my mind the words of one of the poems I memorised as an over dramatic teenager (mostly Byron!) so the walk doesn't seem so long. It's strange how the words of poems I learnt in the lunch hours with my friends over a decade ago are still there in my head.

But I think that poetry is always at its best when it is read out loud and that is why I love listening to Poetry Please on BBC Radio 4 so much. It is perfect Sunday afternoon listening (or anytime listening if you use listen again). Last week they had a lovely poem called Half-past Two by U. A. Fanthorpe, if you get a chance I'd definitely recommend either listening to last Sunday's episode or reading this poem yourself.

No comments: